Thursday, February 9, 2012

Don't talk Spanish

I am currently in our house in Spain, near Mojacar, Almeria.

The weather is unusually cold (only 10C yesterday), but totally sunny. I managed to sit out on the patio for an hour or two yesterday, reading  'The Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham. I read it many years ago, but its well written and very perceptive. Beware BTW the recent remake for TV - its complete rubbish, with no comparison to the original book.

Google has insisted on talking in Spanish to me, and it has taken quite a while for me to find out how to tell it to use English. Hope I have fixed it now.

I have started this blogging stuff to give me something to do, and find out how to use it. It is easy enough just to post a blog like this, but it is not that easy to sort out the templates, which come a variety of  variants for each type, which can then be modified with gadgets, or even tweaked with HTML. I will try and learn a bit more about that later.

I decided to start a different blog for travels. I have several trip reports on my web site, which took me quite a while to create. Importing and placing photos seems to be always tiresome, and the same thing applies here. I tried importing my report of the US National Parks yesterday, and I still havent got all the pictures sorted. I have found out a couple of things.

Firstly, I have spent effort in the past getting rid of the gargbage that MS Word puts into HTML if you are foolish enough to use it to edit web pages (I didnt know better when I started my web site). I now think Ive found an easy way to do this - open the HTML in Wordpad, and save it. HTML all gone, just left with text. Think this works OK.

Secondly, I think it is best to import all the photos in one go, then use the Dynamic template so you can see the photos in different ways. Not sure about this yet, but I will experiment (and Google some advice). It is simply too much work to import and place the photos individuall, or even in threes that I was trying. Placement doesnt want to put them where I want - probably template dependant.

Anyway, thats enough for today, I must get out and walk along the playa.

No comments:

Post a Comment